The oldest brick built lighthouse still standing in Europe is actually situated in Moreton. The original wooden staircase was replaced in 1898.
Leasowe Lighthouse was built in 1763 from 660,000 hand-made bricks. Originally there were two lighthouses. The second lighthouse was a quarter of a mile (0.4km) out to sea and washed away by a storm in 1769. Bidston Hill Lighthouse replaced it in 1771. Vessels were able to enter the Rock Channel by lining up the lights from the two lighthouses. Leasowe Lighthouse was last used on 15 July 1908. Leasowe Lighthouse was put up for sale in 1929. In 1930 Wallasey Corporation bought it for £900 (equal to £43,042.27 in 2001). Mrs. Williams, the lighthouse keeper, died in 1935. The lighthouse then became closed to the public.
The group of chimneys to the right of the lighthouse are the roof of The Railway Inn, Meols, quite some distance away